|UFC 274: Oliveira vs. Gaethje|
|Promotion||Ultimate Fighting Championship 08|
|Date||May 7, 2022 (2022-05-07)|
|City||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
UFC 274: Oliveira vs. Gaethje was a mixed martial arts event produced by the Ultimate Fighting Championship that took place on May 7, 2022, at the Footprint Center in Phoenix, Arizona, United States.
The event was originally linked to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, but the promotion eventually decided to move the event from that location. It took place in Phoenix, Arizona. It was the city's first event since UFC on ESPN: Ngannou vs. Velasquez in February 2019.
A UFC Light Heavyweight Championship bout between current champion Glover Teixeira and former Rizin Light Heavyweight Champion Jiří Procházka was expected to take place at the event. However, the bout was pushed back to UFC 275 for undisclosed reasons.
A UFC Lightweight Championship bout between current champion Charles Oliveira and former interim champion Justin Gaethje (also former WSOF Lightweight Champion) headlined the event. At the weigh-ins, Oliveira weighed in at 155.5 pounds, half a pound over the title limit. As a result, upon commencement of the fight, Oliveira was stripped of the title and only Gaethje was eligible to win it.
A UFC Women's Strawweight Championship rematch between current two-time champion Rose Namajunas and former champion (also former Invicta FC Strawweight Champion) Carla Esparza took place at the event. The pairing previously met 7 and a half years prior at The Ultimate Fighter: A Champion Will Be Crowned Finale for the inaugural championship, which Esparza won via third round submission.
A lightweight bout between Joe Lauzon and former lightweight title challenger Donald Cerrone was scheduled for UFC on ESPN: Font vs. Vera. However, the bout was removed from this event. In turn, the bout was cancelled on the day of the event when Cerrone suffered from food poisoning.
Amanda Ribas and former Invicta FC Atomweight Champion Michelle Waterson were expected to meet at this event. They were originally expected to meet at UFC 257, but Waterson pulled out of the bout due to undisclosed reasons. They were then rescheduled for UFC Fight Night: Blaydes vs. Daukaus, but an injury forced Waterson out of the pairing once again. Waterson announced in early March that her injury could potentially be "career ending" and would not compete at this event.
A lightweight bout between Michael Johnson and Alan Patrick was expected to take place at the event. However, the bout was pushed back one week to UFC on ESPN: Błachowicz vs. Rakić for undisclosed reasons.
At the weigh-ins, Norma Dumont weighed in at 146.5 pounds, half a pound over the women's featherweight non-title fight limit. Her bout proceeded at catchweight and she was fined 30% of her individual purse, which went to her opponent The Ultimate Fighter: Heavy Hitters women's featherweight winner Macy Chiasson.
|Lightweight||Charles Oliveira||def.||Justin Gaethje||Submission (rear-naked choke)||1||3:22||[a]|
|Women's Strawweight||Carla Esparza||def.||Rose Namajunas (c)||Decision (split) (47–48, 49–46, 48–47)||5||5:00||[b]|
|Lightweight||Michael Chandler||def.||Tony Ferguson||KO (front kick)||2||0:17|
|Light Heavyweight||Ovince Saint Preux||def.||Maurício Rua||Decision (split) (28–29, 29–28, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Welterweight||Randy Brown||def.||Khaos Williams||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Preliminary card (ESPN / ESPN+)|
|Welterweight||Francisco Trinaldo||def.||Danny Roberts||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 30–27, 30–26)||3||5:00|
|Catchweight (146.5 lb)||Macy Chiasson||def.||Norma Dumont||Decision (split) (30–27, 28–29, 30–27)||3||5:00|
|Flyweight||Brandon Royval||def.||Matt Schnell||Submission (guillotine choke)||1||2:14|
|Heavyweight||Blagoy Ivanov||def.||Marcos Rogério de Lima||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Early preliminary card (ESPN+ / UFC Fight Pass)|
|Welterweight||André Fialho||def.||Cameron VanCamp||KO (punch)||1||2:35|
|Women's Flyweight||Tracy Cortez||def.||Melissa Gatto||Decision (unanimous) (29–28, 29–28, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Flyweight||C.J. Vergara||def.||Kleydson Rodrigues||Decision (split) (29–28, 28–29, 29–28)||3||5:00|
|Women's Strawweight||Lupita Godinez||def.||Ariane Carnelossi||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–26, 30–26)||3||5:00|
|Bantamweight||Journey Newson||def.||Fernie Garcia||Decision (unanimous) (30–27, 30–27, 29–28)||3||5:00|
The following fighters received $50,000 bonuses.
- Fight of the Night: Brandon Royval vs. Matt Schnell
- Performance of the Night: Michael Chandler and André Fialho
- First Place: Rose Namajunas
- Second Place: Michael Chandler
- Third Place: Charles Oliveira
- Mike Bohn (2022-05-08). "UFC 274 post-event facts: Charles Oliveira adds to record finish count, other records set". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2022-05-09.
- Andrew Richardson (2022-05-12). "Report:Midnight Mania! UFC 274 best-selling event of the year, breaks 400,000 PPV buys". www.mmamania.com. Retrieved 2022-05-12.
- José M. Romero (2022-03-05). "UFC 274 headed to Phoenix on May 7 at Footprint Center". azcentral.com. Retrieved 2022-03-06.
- Raphael Marinho (2022-01-25). "Ultimate changes plans and removes UFC 274 from Rio de Janeiro". ge.globo.com. Retrieved 2022-01-25. (in Portuguese)
- Brett Okamoto (2022-01-22). "Sources: Glover Teixeira-Jiri Prochazka light heavyweight title bout set for UFC 274 in May". espn.com. Retrieved 2022-01-22.
- Alexander K. Lee (2022-02-27). "Glover Teixeira vs. Jiri Prochazka championship fight at UFC 274 rescheduled for UFC 275". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2022-02-27.
- Matthew Wells and Danny Segura (2022-01-26). "Justin Gaethje set to challenge Charles Oliveira for lightweight title at UFC 274". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2022-01-27.
- Mike Bohn (2022-05-06). "UFC 274 weigh-in results: Charles Oliveira misses weight, stripped of title". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2022-05-06.
- Shaun Al-Shatti (2022-03-16). "Rose Namajunas vs. Carla Esparza 2 set for UFC 274 co-main event". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2022-03-16.
- Bryan Tucker (2014-12-12). "TUF 20 Finale Results: Esparza vs. Namajunas". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2022-03-16.
- Nolan King (2022-01-28). "UFC targeting Donald Cerrone vs. Joe Lauzon for April 30 event". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2022-01-28.
- Tristen Critchfield (2022-02-15). "Donald Cerrone vs. Joe Lauzon shifted to UFC 274 on May 7". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2022-02-15.
- Damon Martin (2022-05-07). "Donald 'Cowboy' Cerrone out of UFC 274 due to illness, fight against Joe Lauzon pulled from card". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2022-05-07.
- Farah Hannoun (2022-03-01). "Amanda Ribas vs. Michelle Waterson rebooked for UFC 274 on May 7". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2022-03-01.
- Damon Martin and Guilherme Cruz (2020-12-08). "Michelle Waterson out of upcoming fight against Amanda Ribas at UFC 257". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2020-12-08.
- Guilherme Cruz (2021-03-01). "Amanda Ribas vs. Michelle Waterson rescheduled for UFC 274". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2022-03-01.
- Simon Samano (2022-03-03). "Michelle Waterson says Amanda Ribas fight off because of potentially 'career-ending' injury". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2022-03-04.
- Steve Duncan (2022-02-25). "Alan Patrick vs Michael Johnson added to UFC 274". mma.uno. Retrieved 2022-04-25. (in Spanish)
- Michał Tkaczuk (2022-04-25). "Michael Johnson will get another chance in the UFC octagon". mmarocks.pl. Retrieved 2022-04-25. (in Polish)
- Danny Segura (2022-05-08). "Former two-division champion Daniel Cormier to be inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2022-05-09.
- Staff (2019-01-09). "UFC in 2018: A ridiculously robust look at the stats, streaks, skids and record-setters". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2022-06-14.
- "UFC 274: Oliveira vs. Gaethje". Ultimate Fighting Championship. Retrieved 2021-05-07.
- Staff (2022-05-08). "UFC 274 bonuses: Michael Chandler's knockout of the year contender among winners". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2022-05-09.
- Stephie Haynes (2022-05-08). "UFC 274 post-fight bonuses: Chandler plants Ferguson with KOTY candidate". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2022-05-09.